[Biopython-dev] New: Uniprot XML parser

Andrea Pierleoni andrea at biocomp.unibo.it
Tue Sep 14 16:22:06 UTC 2010

Hi Peter,
I've commented your commits directly on github, basically agreeing with
them.
Parsing PDB structures as positional features was done to capture all the
information in the uniprot file. I do not see any better place than a
SeqFeature for a positional information, the only option here is to skip it.

I saw in your repository you are using the string "uniprot-xml" to call
the parser, however the format name at the EBI REST and SOAP services
is simply "uniprotxml". take a look at:

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/Tools/webservices/services/dbfetch_rest

I think it is better to be conservative in this.

I'm still working on the SeqIO.index to make a faster implementation. RE
are really slow, and ElementTree should cope well with this task.
Anyhow it works with the current implementation, so it's not a big deal.

Andrea