[Biopython-dev] Parsing efetch results from the Journals database through Bio.Entrez

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 4 05:18:34 UTC 2010

--- On Fri, 9/3/10, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Out of interest, have you asked the NCBI about this
> undocumented XML output?

Yes, several times.

> Is it feasible to just put deprecation warnings in for
> Biopython 1.56, and then remove the hacks later?

Yes that is possible, but I don't think that we should go through the usual obsolete / deprecation / removal procedure, because this will take more than a year, and it's not worthwhile for a piece of code that probably nobody uses. In addition, once the hacks are removed, the parser will be able to validate each XML document it parses, which is to the benefit of all users and use cases. I don't think that we should postpone that by a year.

--Michiel.