[Biopython-dev] Changed in C API

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Oct 26 10:12:02 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Dragoslav Zaric
<zaricdragoslav at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Peter,
>
> You write this:
>
> "What I suggest you do first, is make sure you can get
> the latest Biopython source code from git, compile it
> under Python 2, and run the unit tests. Then try 2to3
> and running the tests under Python 3 (see the README
> file)."
>
> Can you tell me how do I run unit tests in any python version ??

Have a look at the "The Biopython testing framework"
chapter in the tutorial (although this does not talk about
Python 3).

For python 2.x, from the Tests directory do:

python run_tests.py

For a particular version of Python, do:

python2.6 run_tests.py

For Python 3.x first convert the code with 2to3 as described
in the README file, then:

python3 run_tests.py

For a particular version of Python 3, do:

python3.1 run_tests.py

You can run selected tests rather than all of them, e.g.

python run_tests.py test_Motif.py

> Are there unit tests for C modules or these tests cover everything ??

The tests are all written in Python, and will test the C modules via
their Python interface.