[Biopython-dev] DendroPy is now BSD-licensed (was: [Nexml-discuss] NexML schema question)

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 02:41:19 UTC 2010

Folks,

About two months ago, Jeet Sukumaran mentioned on the NeXML-discuss mailing
list that he would be willing to relicense DendroPy, an excellent
phylogenetics library for Python, from GPL to the more permissive BSD
license.

And shortly thereafter, he did:
http://github.com/jeetsukumaran/DendroPy/commit/d3a91621fb62b37c311a462cae150772dd735771

For those just tuning in, DendroPy supports tree I/O in the NeXML format,
but not phyloXML; Biopython supports phyloXML but not NeXML. Since the
licenses are now compatible, we could probably make good use of Jeet's NeXML
parsing code at the very least. Unfortunately, as evidenced by my two-month
delay, I don't really have the leeway to do the integration myself this
semester. But here's a heads-up anyway.

Relatedly, Jaime Huerta Cepas (author of ETE, a Python Environment for Tree
Exploration) indicated interest in generating phyloXML and NeXML parsers
from XSD schemas -- another one to keep an eye out for.

Regards,
Eric