[Biopython-dev] Continuous integration server

Tiago Antão tiagoantao at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 12:04:17 UTC 2010

2010/11/3 Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk>:
> Certainly we can't scale this up to many machines running regular
> testing without limiting the network access somewhat.

As we discussed before, I was thinking in adding an option to
run_tests.py (like --offline) and change the tests that access the
Internet to honour that flag. I was thinking in coding this myself and
then send to the list for approval (I am not going to make big changes
to the test framework myself without passing them through here).

>> 6. Discuss policies: One test a day? Full tests or updates? Full
>> network tests (probably sporadically)? Send emails?
>
> Right now triggering tests after each commit isn't easy to do
> is it (due to limited git support in builtbot)? That might be nice
> but in the short term running the tests once a day is a big step
> forward.

It is actually quite easy (with an hook on github), but I would
suggest leaving this for version 2: lets put the fundamental working
and the add bells and whistles.

> I'd suggest we do network tests once a week (or fortnight?).

OK, I will go ahead and do some changes to run_tests.py as per above.

> That isn't possible - some applications are not available on Windows,
> and some libraries are not available on Jython or Python 3 (yet).

OK, we just have to be sure (manually) that all applications that need
tested are tested.

>> 8. While I have volunteer Windows testing myself, I will not be able
>> to maintain it regularly.
>
> I have access to a Windows machine (which I use to build the
> Biopython installers) but currently it is only online intermittently.
> I'd have to reorganise machines due to limited network ports in
> the office, but it could in principle be used as a builtbot slave.

Regarding Mac and Windows, I will email again as soon as we have the
network issue sorted out. Before that we would be doing maybe too much
traffic as we have no way to stop the network access for now.

> What is wrong with your Linux Python 3.1 slave? It seems that
> 2to3 is failing on the doctest conversion.

I do not have time to evaluate this now, I will trace this issue over
the weekend.

Tiago