[Biopython-dev] GSOC 2010 Tiny-PDB project

Konstantin Okonechnikov k.okonechnikov at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 04:29:30 UTC 2010

Dear BioPython developers,
my name is Konstantin. I am first-year master's student at Novosibirsk State
University, Russia.
The subject of my bachelor diploma work was development of  3D biological
macromolecular structure visualization tool for open-source bioinformatics
project called UGENE <http://ugene.unipro.ru/>. This work was successfully
finished <http://ugene.unipro.ru/plugin_biostruct3d_view.html> about a year
ago.
The task included a lot of work with PDB format: parsing, correctness
testing etc. For testing purposes even whole PDB database was downloaded and
tested for simple assertions. Such stress testing revealed a lot of problems
and helped to improve code significantly. So, one may say, I have some
experience with PDB format :)
I used BioPython when I was studying bioinformatics basics and really liked
it. I would like to contribute to the project by improving Bio.PDB module
and implementing a set of convenient tools to work with PDB files.
Best regards,
             Konstantin