[Biopython-dev] upcoming Bio.PDB enhancements - RNA

Kristian Rother krother at rubor.de
Mon Jun 14 15:01:48 UTC 2010

Hi,

much of what I do with RNA secondary structures strongly depends on
iterating base pairs, e.g..

>>> sec = Secstruc("(((...)).)")
>>> for bp in sec.basepairs():
>>>    print bp
(0, 9)
(1, 7)
(2, 6)

also:
>>> sec.get_helices()
>>> sec.get_bulges()
>>> sec.get_hairpins()
>>> sec.contains_pseudoknot()
.. and a couple of similar ones.

The reason why I'd prefer to have something more than a string as a sec
feature is that I wouldn't want to do all the time:

sec = Secstruc(my_seq['secondary_structure'])
sec.get_helices()

but

my_seq['secondary_structure'].get_helices()

instead.

Best Regards,
   Kristian