[Biopython-dev] Active projects list? (BOSC Biopython Project Update)

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jul 21 11:58:21 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Peter wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Andrea Pierleoni wrote:
>>>
>>> There are already several query methods, but more wouldn't be a bad
>>> idea. I was thinking we could implement dictionary like access, and
>>> support for iterator over all the records.
>>>

>> dictionary and iterators would be very pythonic, and useful. are you
>> working on it?
>
> Not right now, no - if you want to try soon please go ahead.

Well, I went and did the basics to be consistent with the existing limited
dict like support in BioSeqDatabase. Would you mind testing it?

This can be improved by iterating over the cursor rather than building a
list of identifiers in memory. Likewise __len__ and __contains__ can be
turned into SQL statements to be more efficient. Do you fancy trying that?