[Biopython-dev] Active projects list? (BOSC Biopython Project Update)

Andrea Pierleoni andrea at biocomp.unibo.it
Tue Jul 20 15:06:22 UTC 2010

> I'm not sure we can easily include GPL code in Biopython... it would
> complicate things. Kyle has also been working on using the JVM DB
> API for BioSQL under Jython - I'd rather we ended up with a runtime
> choice of drivers (database specific like mysqldb, and others like the
> abstractions SQLAlchemy or the web2py DAL) which would all be
> external to Biopython.
>
> Peter

I've checked online and, actually, web2py code comes under:

"GPL2 License with an exception for easier commercialization of
applications."

and they states:

"Applications built with web2py can be released under any license the
author wishes as long they do not contain web2py code. In particular they
can be bytecode compiled and distributed in closed source. The admin
interface provides a button to byte-code compile.
It is fine to distribute web2py (source or compiled) with your
applications as long as you make it clear in the license where your
application ends and web2py starts."

I don't think this will cause any problem given that the web2py code is
acknowledged.

Anyhow, are there any plan in extending the BioSQL interface?
We could make some methods useful to people not skilled with SQL, that can
boost their
experience with BioSQL. something like selecting all the bioentries
carrying a given feature
type or a qualifier value  or even a dbxref.
Allowing people to use the BioSQL schema without exactly knowing the
schema and have to write
complex queries could be a big addition.

Andrea