[Biopython-dev] DAS client in biopython

Andrea Pierleoni andrea at biocomp.unibo.it
Tue Jul 20 14:51:50 UTC 2010

Hi all,
I've been working a little do develop a DAS client in python, and I
thought it could
be a nice addition to biopython. So I build up a branch on github that can
be found here:

http://github.com/apierleoni/biopython/tree/das-client

The DAS module is under Bio and can be imported using

>>> from Bio.DAS.DASpy import DASpy

some code examples are included in the DASpy.py file.

cool things you can do with DASpy:

- fetch all the available DAS servers listed at dasregistry

- connect to each of them and use 'das1:sequence' and 'das1:feature'
methods to retrieve
    sequences, features and annotations from DAS servers.

- build a SeqRecord starting from multiple DAS servers (one for the
sequence and the
    others for features and annotations)

Eg. you can build a SeqRecord object that will list all abailable DAS
annotations given
a uniprot ID.

I'm actually the only user of the code, so I'll appreciate any comment
about it.

Hope this turns useful to someone else.

Andrea