[Biopython-dev] Documentation

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 15:47:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:15 AM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk>wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Eric Talevich <eric.talevich at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > So, if we were to go that route, the upgrade path would look like:
> >
> > 1. Add docutils as a dependency for building the API docs, in addition to
> > epydoc.
> > 2. Convert the docstrings that use epytext to use ReStructuredText
> instead.
> > (grep will help, and the changes are pretty robotic.)
> > 3. When all docstrings are rst-compatible (plain text is OK), try running
> > Sphinx with a stub page that just pulls in all the docstrings under Bio.
> (Or
> > something like that.) Does it work?
> > 4. If it works, figure out how to put the Sphinx-generated docs on
> > biopython.org so people can use them.
> > 5. Now that we have a bunch of stub pages that pull in each module's
> > docstrings, start adding value to those stubs by moving
> API-reference-style
> > parts of the wiki and Tutorial into the sphinx stubs.
>
> i.e. Move from epydoc to sphinx? That would probably make things much
> prettier - and could make the docstrings more accessible. We could even
> move the main tutorial from LaTeX to sphinx as well - it can make nice
> HTML and PDF files.

OK, I'll start a branch for this on GitHub. Do you have a preference for how
I handle the new docutils dependency? I thought I'd just document it
somewhere, similar to how the Tutorial's current hevea dependency is
mentioned.

I'll work on getting epydoc to work with docutils/ReStructuredText first,
then start a reference manual under Doc/reference/ after that.

> > 6. Semi-independently of this, try trimming the Tutorial a bit to make
> some
> > nice wiki pages.
>
> Wiki pages have some major drawbacks for primary documentation - they
> are not in git for a start which means version tracking is separate from
> the
> code version tracking. They also would be hard to bundle into the offline
> documentation. I'm not keen on this, beyond moving some "cookbook"
> examples to the wiki.

OK. I'll leave this part for the end, then, and just make note of which
parts of the Tutorial seem tangential enough to be moved to cookbook pages
on the wiki. I expect a bigger portion of the Tutorial could be moved to the
new reference manual instead -- for example, most of the API explanations in
the Phylo chapter.

I like the way simuPOP separates the user guide and reference, although the
Table of Contents pages are a little unwieldy...

Best,
Eric