[Biopython-dev] test_Entrez 3.x

Tiago Antão tiagoantao at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 14:28:33 UTC 2010

Hi,

A pre-read,
http://dbaktiar.wordpress.com/2009/08/20/python-3-1-file-open-is-no-longer-binary-by-default/
I am not completely sure that the text above is totally correct, but
it does introduce the problem quite well.

expat seems to want a byte stream.
In the core code this is minor, Expat.Parser gets one open(,"rb") on
externalEntityRefHandler and it is ready to roll (at least passes the
test_Entrez test).
But test_Entrez does need quite a few files  open as rb.

I do not know if I like this idea of opening a text file as binary.
But at least the core code is barely touched. It is more an issue with
the test.

--
"If you want to get laid, go to college.  If you want an education, go
to the library." - Frank Zappa