[Biopython-dev] Python 3 porting

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jul 9 08:01:43 UTC 2010

2010/7/8 Tiago Antão <tiagoantao at gmail.com>:
>> Actually running 2to3 and then trying the tests on Python 3 will spot more
>> or different problems (such as unicode/bytes problems). I think this is where
>> Tiago was having trouble with phyloXML.
>
> I suppose (correct me if I am wrong), that the main objective of the
> exercise is to make all the tests pass with Python 3 (while
> maintaining Python 2 compatibility). The second objective would be to
> find potential points of error that can be introduced by the changes
> and create even more tests on those points. The third would be to not
> let performance (speed/memory) degrade (String processing being the
> big issue here).

The primary aim is to get the main Biopython functionality working on
Python 3 (with an eye on performance), while maintaining Python 2
support. Getting the unit tests working is just a step towards this - and
the more test coverage we have the more useful this will be for us.
But that is probably what you meant?