[Biopython-dev] code credits

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jan 5 17:50:25 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> So, how about a merger of (1) and (3)? i.e.
>>
>> * The CONTRIBUTORS file remains a single alphabetical list
>> of all contributors to date (no change).
>> * Entries in the NEWS file for new features etc may continue
>> to credit authors as appropriate.
>> * The NEWS file will include at the end of each release section
>> an alphabetical list of contributors for that release (with new
>> contributors flagged). This will be re-used in the release notice.
>
> I've done that in github - how do the NEWS and CONTRIB file look?
>
> http://github.com/biopython/biopython/commit/86d8d99aab894ab5f32a0e7a0c45d63a441da645
>
> I haven't automatically included email addresses for the new contributors
> since there is a risk of them being harvested for spam, so I figure that
> should be "opt in".

Thanks to those with feedback off list (e.g. sort order).

I've just updated the news post to include the list of names:
http://news.open-bio.org/news/2009/12/biopython-release-153/

I don't have time today, but at some point this week I want to
do a another news post and email announcement describing
this new Sage-like policy for recognising contributors. If anyone
would like to compose a draft of the apparent consensus that
would be very helpful.

If anyone would like to go back over the commit log for the
recent releases to update them as we've just done for 1.53,
please go ahead - but post an email here to avoid duplicated
efforts.

Peter

P.S. Happy New Year!