[Biopython-dev] KEGG support

João Rodrigues anaryin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 22:52:53 UTC 2010

Hello all,

For what it's worth: I worked with KEGG about a year and a half ago, to do
some very basic things. I remember I tried using SOAPpy and ZSI. The first
is a pain to install in Windows (at least then it was), so I opted for the
second. However it has been quite outdated and I had some problems dealing
with complex data types..

Regarding modularising/non-modularising the code, I guess that some features
will have to have dependences that cannot be included in the core
distribution, and thus the user should be warned that it needs library X or
Y to have them work. In short, keeping the current structure seems the
wisest IMO. I don't see such a need of creating outer-modules.

Lastly, good luck with KEGG's services' speed. That API is slower than a
turle :x