[Biopython-dev] Features of the GSOC branch ready to be merged

João Rodrigues anaryin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 15:32:04 UTC 2010

Hey Kristian, all,

What about this: creating a new file under Bio.PDB called Misc.py or
Utilities.py that contains functions like renumber_residues. I'm thinking on
other functions like joining PDB files, extracting chains from PDB files,
renaming chains etc.

These are all operations that one can easily do programatically using
Bio.PDB, however they do require coding (10 lines each I'd say). This
"collection" of useful snippets could be included in a separate file and
even provide an interface to the command line. This was one of Eric's ideas
for GSOC I didn't pursue in my project.

Regarding renumber_residues explicitly, this would allow using it
structure-wide or chain-wide without duplicating code (Right now it sits on
Structure.py). I can also keep it as is now and just add chain, from_id, and
to_id arguments.

Let me know of your opinions,

Cheers

João [...] Rodrigues