[Biopython-dev] Changing the details of the app wrapper private API

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Dec 3 19:10:52 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Brad Chapman <chapmanb at 50mail.com> wrote:
> Peter;
>> For those of you that have used the Bio.Application wrapper
>> classes, I'd like comments on this proposed change:
>>
>> https://github.com/peterjc/biopython/commit/a1f160dea719add408eade99026f84a2af4447c2
>
> Thanks much for fixing this up. Sorry I mucked up the API in the
> first place. No complaints from me and happy to see it being
> improved,
>
> Brad

Hi Brad,

I wouldn't say you mucked it up - you've got to start from somewhere
(right?): the basic design was sound and this proposed change is just
a little clean up operation really.

Thanks for looking it over - I've take that as an approval and committed it:
https://github.com/biopython/biopython/commit/6957dd51be97e3cc258a36ca0904d5cbfd0de328

What are your thoughts regarding the types=["file"] stuff? Should we
leave it, replace it with a boolean, or look at the subclass route?
Other useful subclasses as well as a _FileOption include things like
_IntegerOption and _FloatOption (although the later is interesting
with things like "1e-10" which BLAST accepts for example, but not
all tools taking float arguments would like that).