[Biopython-dev] Git Branch Organisation?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Dec 3 11:37:10 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 11:07 AM, João Rodrigues <anaryin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Peter,
>
> I have a question regarding git branch organisation. Would it be
> better to have one branch with all the GSOC features that are
> stable (e.g. gsoc_stable) that grows as more features are tested
> or having one branch for each new feature is the best option?
>
> Best,
>
> João [...] Rodrigues

I was going to reply to this issue on the list anyway.

At the end of the summer you basically had one branch with lots
new stuff and changes to Bio.PDB - *some* of this is "stable" and
potentially ready for merging to the trunk, but other parts still need
work. Is that right?

For smaller self contained changes (like the PDB element stuff), to
me a feature branch which we can test on its own and then merge
makes sense.

The bulk of your work is a whole new module (Bio.Struct), so
another branch just for the stable stuff makes sense. If you think
it can easily be broken into stages, and that doing this would make
it easier for us to evaluate, test, and merge. However, it could go
in as one big merge -- it just is more work to review in one lump ;)

So there is a balance here - is that any clearer?