[Biopython-dev] Windows version compiler

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Dec 29 15:24:02 EST 2010

2010/12/29 Tiago Antão <tiagoantao at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I am here trying to generate a pure 64bit version (nice hell). I was
> wondering what is the compiler used for the production/public version?
> I noticed that, on some integration testing slaves, cygwin is being
> used, is the same for the public version?
>
> Thanks,
> Tiago

Hi Tiago,

We're using mingw32 from Cygwin on older versions of Python,
and I think Python 2.6 onwards I'm using Microsoft’s free VC++
2008 Express Edition which was downloaded from
http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/

This is noted in the "Installing from source on Windows"
section of our installation.pdf/html file, although we have
no notes on 64 bit Windows yet:
http://www.biopython.org/DIST/docs/install/Installation.html