[Biopython-dev] Obsolete code

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 25 01:11:56 UTC 2010

Tiago, Bartek, Peter,

Thanks for your comments.

Peter, is the main branch still frozen? I'd like to make these changes on Saturday Japanese time, so Friday night in Europe/US.

> I'd be cautious about the Seq object given it will be
> particularly widely used. I've commented on a few cases
> below, but in general yes deprecation of things previously
> marked as obsolete is sensible house keeping.

For the Seq object, I think it's good to have a DeprecationWarning to make users aware of the changes. For example, I was not aware that Seq.data is obsolete.

> > Bio.Align.MultipleSeqAlignment.get_column
> > Bio.Align.Generic.Alignment
> > Bio.Align.Generic.Alignment.get_seq_by_num
>
> I'd like to make the new alignment object a bit more user
> friendly before we deprecate these bits.

OK I won't touch these then.

> > Bio.Blast.Applications.FastacmdCommandline
> > Bio.Blast.Applications.BlastallCommandline
> > Bio.Blast.Applications.BlastpgpCommandline
> > Bio.Blast.Applications.RpsBlastCommandline
> > Bio.Blast.NCBIStandalone.blastall
> > Bio.Blast.NCBIStandalone.blastpgp
> > Bio.Blast.NCBIStandalone.rpsblast
>
> The NCBI are still supporting "legacy" BLAST so it is
> probably a bit too early to deprecate these wrappers.
> Maybe I'm being cautious but I'd leave this until the
> next release in three months time or so.

OK.

> (Bio.Blast.NCBIStandalone has been declared obsolete,
> but I guess some people may still be using the Blast
> plain-text output parser.)
>
> Deprecation seems premature - the code is still useful and
> probably widely used (I use it myself sometimes). Maybe once your
> new BLAST parsing framework is ready Michiel?

OK.

> > Bio.Fasta
>
> Here my instinct is to be cautious given Bio.Fasta used to
> be such a widely used module.

Here also I think we should make our users aware of the changes, especially because it used to be widely used.

--Michiel.