[Biopython-dev] test_PhyloXML.py error on Python 2.4

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Apr 8 13:23:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Eric Talevich <eric.talevich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> I noticed that test_PhyloXML.py is failing on Python 2.4, it should
>> be skipped since I don't have ElementTree installed. Have you got
>> access to a Python 2.4 installation to look at this?
>
> The traceback says the PhyloXML module is missing, but PhyloXMLIO and the
> rest of Bio.Phylo are there. Is that normal? I would expect that PhyloXML
> would still be installed with Biopython on Py2.4, but when the test runs it
> would trigger a MissingExternalDependency error for ElementTree when
> importing PhyloXMLIO, and run_tests.py would then skip it.

Yes, and I don't understand why that doesn't happen in the test suite:

C:\>c:\python24\python
Python 2.4.4 (#71, Oct 18 2006, 08:34:43) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> from Bio.Phylo import PhyloXML as PX
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "c:\python24\lib\site-packages\Bio\Phylo\__init__.py", line 12, in ?
    from Bio.Phylo._io import parse, read, write, convert
  File "c:\python24\Lib\site-packages\Bio\Phylo\_io.py", line 15, in ?
    import PhyloXMLIO
  File "c:\python24\Lib\site-packages\Bio\Phylo\PhyloXMLIO.py", line 42, in ?
    raise MissingExternalDependencyError(
Bio.MissingExternalDependencyError: No ElementTree module was found. Use Python
2.5+, lxml or elementtree if you want to use Bio.PhyloXML.

Odd.