[Biopython-dev] Trunk freeze for Biopython 1.54 beta

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 13:21:22 UTC 2010

Hi Peter,

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk>wrote:

> Eric - do you know any LaTeX? If not, don't worry too
> much. We can guide you though installing pdflatex
> and hevea for producing PDF and HTML, and then
> adding things to the tutorial should be fairly easy.
> Or, the simpler option (for you) would be to hand
> over plain text and a kind volunteer (maybe me)
> can handle the LaTeX markup.

Yes, I can do LaTeX. Would it be better to rework the wiki page (or a
section of it) into something chapter-like first, or just add a draft of the
new chapter into the main tutorial document right away? Also, did you have a
list of specific topics/subsections I should cover?

P.S. Note to self or anyone interested: Why did
> the source code tar ball and zip file jump in size
> by about 2MB? Was it just the accumulation of
> more code and more tests - or did I mess up?

The example phyloXML files are kind of hefty, especially
ncbi_taxonomy_mollusca.xml. If size increase is a problem, I can remove that
file from the unit tests without substantial harm.

-Eric