[Biopython-dev] Code review request for phyloxml branch

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 15:51:15 UTC 2009

Hi Jaime,

Just working on bindings would certainly be easier. The best way to transfer
tree information from Biopython to ETE would be serializing the trees in
phyloXML format (to preserve the annotations) and loading that file in ETE.
I see that ETE allows rich annotation of tree objects, but I don't see
phyloXML or NeXML listed as supported file formats -- is there another
standard format you're using to store this information? If not, I think ETE
would benefit from a phyloXML parser. Since Biopython license is
GPL-compatible (I believe), you could borrow Bio.TreeIO.PhyloXMLIO directly
and just port the Phylogeny and Clade classes to ETE's base classes instead
of Bio.Tree.BaseTree's Tree and Node classes.

Beyond that, some support for BioSQL to store sequences etc. would also help
link ETE to any of the other Bio* projects. There's some example code in
Biopython's top-level BioSQL directory, if you're interested.

Cheers,
Eric