[Biopython-dev] CVS freeze for Biopython 1.52

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Sep 24 10:23:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Now, let's make sure all the documentation and the wiki etc is up to date,
> and make an official announcement on the news server.

How does this look for a draft news post (with links to wiki pages etc):

The release of Biopython 1.52 earlier this week marked the end of an
era, it was our last release using CVS for source code control.

As of now, Biopython is using a git repository, hosted on github.com
who kindly provide git hosting for open source projects free of
charge. The BioRuby project have been using github for some time now,
so we are in good company.

The existing OBF hosted CVS repository will be maintained in the short
to medium term as a backup, but will not be updated.

Although many people have been involved in this move, we’d like to
thank Bartek Wilczynski in particular for handling the CVS to git
conversion, and the mirroring our CVS updates to git during the last
few months transition period. In the next few weeks hopefully we’ll
get our git usage wiki pages perfected, as we start using git for
real.