[Biopython-dev] draft blog post for 1.52 stuff

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Sep 21 09:11:17 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 6:30 AM, David Winter
<winda002 at student.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
> As I mentioned in the draft release announcement it might be useful to have
> a blog post up explaining how the new functions for SeqIO and AlignIO work
> (thanks to Peter for this idea).
>
> I've written a draft for a post that looks at the convert function that
> could do with a little more detail and ignores the indexed_dict() function
> entirely because I just don't have a good enough idea of how it works.

Great job - thanks for doing this. I'll tackle an indexing introduction
blog post since you've done a nice job for convert :)

It would also be worth mentioning that the convert function will also
take filenames (not just handles), which also helps simplify simple
conversion tasks.

I should be able to provide some timings for things like FASTQ
conversion, or FASTQ to FASTA on multi-million read files
(there are probably some on the dev list already...).

> Again, any comments are welcome. Is it a good idea to have a post like
> this or should we just extend the release announcement to include a little
> bit more detail?

Well, as I mentioned the idea to David directly, I think these little
motivational examples on the blog are worth trying out. What does
everyone else think?