[Biopython-dev] SwissProt DE lines and bioentry.description field in BioSQL

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sun May 17 15:21:59 UTC 2009

On May 17, 2009, at 8:40 AM, Peter wrote:

> [...] Here you have mapped RecName and AltName fields in the DE
> lines to
> Name and Synonyms (shouldn't that be Synonym singular?).

The example is for the GN lines in SwissProt, not the DE lines.

> [...]
> On 5/17/09, Hilmar Lapp <hlapp at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Not necessarily. If you have a flat serialization (such as XML) the
>> nested
>> structure isn't needed. Of course that's not a fully normalized
>> relational
>> representation, but if you had one, how often would it be used, how
>> efficient would those queries be (SQL is poor at nested or
>> recursive data
>> structures), and how much pain would it be to write the object-
>> relational
>> mappings?
>
> In this example, searching the database using one of the SwissProt
> AltNames (synonyms), or filtering on the Flags sounds like a
> reasonable request - but this would be very difficult if the data is
> stored inside XML strings.

Actually no. Modern full-text indexers (inside or outside the
database) can index XML text columns right away and very well. In
fact, for the last project that I built a full-text search for (on top
of a BioSQL database) I did that by writing custom XML documents to a
separate table for each record I wanted indexed. Oracle's full text
indexer did the rest. I also built a separate identifier/name/
accession index that pulled all the gene names, symbols, accession
numbers, identifiers etc into a single table for indexing.

What I mean is, a fully normalized relational representation,
especially if nested, is often not the most efficient data structure
for efficient searching and filtering.

	-hilmar