[Biopython-dev] Cookbook entry, concatenating nexus files

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri May 15 09:05:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 11:39 PM, David Winter
<winda002 at student.otago.ac.nz> wrote:

>> I'd rephrase this bit of the intro:
>>

> Yep, that's much better. Thanks Peter and Cymon for your feedback on this,
> I've updated the intro to include it and a couple of specific examples of
> how you'd use the character partitions.

That does look much clearer now :) Could you include the three original
alignments in the text?  It would help to let the reader see what is going
on (and could be used to reproduce the example).

> (Have you guys seen  this:  doi.wiley.com/10.1111/j.1755-0998.2008.02164.x ,
> you could write a paper from one function in your nexus module!)

>From the abstract that does sound pretty trivial, but I guess that tool would be
useful for non-programmers - even if you could probably rewrite it as one
short python script using Biopython (or indeed a Perl script using BioPerl etc).