[Biopython-dev] history on github - where are the tags?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue May 12 18:57:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Bartek Wilczynski
<bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org> wrote:

> I was thinking that the mapping was going to change when we finally
> switch to git. Then it would be a natural cause of events...
> Otherwise, we would have another step in our transition. Whether it's
> worth doing it, depends on how long we expect to be in the transition
> between CVS and git.

I'm happy that git will work, and that I personally know enough about
the basics to manage.

I'm not happy with the current github repository due to the history
tag issue - but we know we can fix that now.  Are you going to try
removing the old tags and re-doing them on github?

Does anyone know how the git provided "ViewCVS" equivalent shows tags
in a file's history?

I think we should now have a chat with the OBF (off list) about how we
might go about installing git on their server.  Commits can then be
pushed out to github automatically (or pulled from github if we go the
other way round).  This would make several things easier:

(1) Seamless continuation of existing user accounts
(2) Keeping the snapshot code up to date: http://biopython.org/SRC/biopython/
(3) Having our own commit RSS feeds (not essential as this could be
done on github)
(4) Having automatic builds of the documentation (previously discussed
as nice to have)

Plus of course giving redundancy with the code mirrored on both OBF
servers and GitHub :)