[Biopython-dev] SeqIO and qual: Question about reading and writing qual files

Sebastian Bassi sbassi at clubdelarazon.org
Tue Mar 24 15:33:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> characters using a DNA alphabet. What would you expect to get if you
> used Bio.SeqIO to write out the file in FASTA format?  To my mind there
> are two sensible options - write out the file using the "NNN....N"
> sequence, or raise an error.

"N" is OK (with the same length of the qual file), that is what ABI
does when the QV is low. This is not the same case but I always think
of "N" as "unknown".
Raise an error is not bad because I don't see the need to go from an
non-sequence qual to a fasta (it doesn't make sense). But that I don't
see the need, doesn't means someone else may have a reason.
Best,

--
Sebastián Bassi. Diplomado en Ciencia y Tecnología.

Non standard disclaimer: READ CAREFULLY. By reading this email,
you agree, on behalf of your employer, to release me from all
obligations and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED
agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap,
browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and
acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have
entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and
assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and
privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release
me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.