[Biopython-dev] biopython on github

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio dalloliogm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 18:36:24 UTC 2009

2009/3/17 Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>

> 2009/3/17 Tiago Antão <tiagoantao at gmail.com>:
>
> I'd still like to have a copy of the "official" git repository running
> on biopython.org, but this may not be that easy without some technical
> expertise in house to do this.  From initial discussion with the OBF
> team about the idea of running git on their servers, my impression is
> if we can do it ourselves, we may.  Jason Stajich actually suggested
> we use github independently.

Well, basically it is not strictly necessary to have git installed on their
computers to create a mirror.
You can just create the clone on your computer, raw-ly copy the files there,
and then you will be able to push the new changes with an ssh access.
Since git is a distributed source control system, it doesn't require to
configure a server part as with cvs :-)

To my knowledge, the pygr project (also a bioinformatics suite in python)
have an official repository hosted in gitourious, and a mirror in github to
collect patches from there.

--

My blog on bioinformatics (now in English): http://bioinfoblog.it