[Biopython-dev] biopython on github

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Mar 17 09:41:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Bartek Wilczynski
<bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio
> <dalloliogm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> At the moment I am having some strange problems, relative to the fact that I
>> had a branch previously named as 'biopython' in my account, so it seems
>> don't understand well the fact that the old branch has been renamed.
>> For example, I don't have the 'Fork' button.... but it must be a temporary
>> problem, I already contacted the github's tech support.
>
> This is connected with the change I made in the repository. Namely I
> renamed the branch created by Giovanni to biopuython-old and created
> a new one (the "official" one) called biopython again.
>
> The "rename" feature was flagged as experimental, and I don't think we
> would expect to use it anymore, and there were warnings that it can affect
> the branches forked from the branched previously created by Giovanni.

We may need to do another rename, if we have to repeat the CVS to git migration.
For example, see my other email about the CVS tags (missing?).
Another potential
question is can you re-map the CVS usernames as part of the migration?  e.g. Can
you somehow replace CVS users "bartek", "peterc", ... with guthub
users "barwil",
"peterjc", ...?  Not essential, but it would be nice.

I would suggest as a precaution we rename it sooner rather than later
(while only
a few people will be inconvenienced), going from biopython to
biopython-cvs-mirror
(or similar).  If this does end up being the actual trunk branch, we
can just fork it
under a new branch name like "biopython" or "biopython-official" etc.