[Biopython-dev] Fwd: [Utilities-announce] NCBI E-Utilities requirements updated

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Mar 5 12:40:16 UTC 2009

This email was sent out a few weeks ago, but it took a while before
the NCBI webpage was actually updated (maybe a caching issue) so I
didn't rush to relax our rules immediately.

Under the new rules we must make no more than three requests every
second.  We could track the times of the last two requests in order to
enforce this as worded, but I think it would be simpler just to switch
from using a minimum 3 second pause between Bio.Entrez requests to
just a minimum 0.33334 second pause.  This is a much simpler code
change and will comply with the new relaxed rules.

Unless anyone has a counter suggestion, I will update Bio.Entrez and
the tutorial shortly.

Peter