[Biopython-dev] GSoC Weekly Update: PhyloXML for Biopython

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jun 22 16:44:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Eric Talevich<eric.talevich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Biopython has a couple of core objects that I'm reusing in my project. There
> was a quirk in these libraries (related to this:
> http://effbot.org/pyfaq/why-are-default-values-shared-between-objects.htm)
> that made the objects slightly more awkward to instantiate, but the issues
> were recently fixed. I'd like to merge these fixes soon.

Brad just committed a fix for Bug 2841 - is there anything else you still
think needs fixing in the latest trunk code in this area? I'm not sure what
you meant my "merge" in this context.

> So, GSoC requires a tarball of the code we write at the end of the summer.
> Merging from upstream would bring code that I didn't write into my
> development tree -- which I could probably filter out with the right
> arguments to git-diff, but nonetheless, my project history would no longer
> be entirely clean. Does Google care about this? Or is it safe to go ahead
> and pull from the next stable release of Biopython (coming soon)?

This probably depends on the GSoC rules - from the Biopython license
point of view I don't see a problem with you providing a complete tarball
(i.e. all of Biopython plus your code). Ideally use the latested current stable
release for this (and for your timetable that will probably be Biopython
1.51 or 1.52 depending on how things go).