[Biopython-dev] Next release plans?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Jun 20 08:53:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 11:39 PM, Brad Chapman<chapmanb at 50mail.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter;
>
>> If we do do Biopython 1.51 beta next week, with Biopython 1.51 final in
>> July, then I would provisionally expect to do Biopython 1.52 in the Autumn.
>> This could be brought forward if a large and useful contribution was added.
>> Let's chat about the genepop code at BOSC?
>
> This sounds like a good idea if you have time to push it next week.
> I'd like to get GFF parsing/writing in but need to do some refactoring
> before realistically proposing that, and it won't happen until after
> BOSC. I will do the annotation bit this weekend so it'll be in
> there.

Yeah - the GFF parsing and SeqFeature/FeatureLocation stuff would
benefit from some in person discussion. This is all very fresh in my
mind from the EMBL/GenBank side of things as I have got GenBank
feature writing in Bio.SeqIO to work (in CVS), and have been looking
at replacing the current GenBank/EMBL location parser with something
re based for speed (see Bug 2738 for a proof of concept, I have a
more complete version in progress).

> 1.52 sounds like it'll be a good target for a lot of new
> functionality. Nice.

It does look like that :)