[Biopython-dev] Installation documentation

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio dalloliogm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 16:09:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk>wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Brad Chapman <chapmanb at 50mail.com> wrote:
>
> Well, easy_install isn't (yet) an official python standard so I hadn't
> previously worried about it - our wiki Downloads page does mention it.
>  Frankly the less "official" ways the are to install, the less ways it
> can go wrong, and then the less questions need to be asked when it
> goes wrong.

If I can say mine, pypi and easy_install are very cool! :-)

The biopython package on pypi works very well and it is the quickest way to
get the latest version of biopython.
It is more reliable than the packages in the repositories of many linux
distro (some of them are outdated), and with respect to the manual
installation, it makes it a lot easier to update biopython and to install
all the dependencies.

Nor had I worried about how PyPi's listing might need to be updated.
> I assumed it was clever enough to scan the http://biopython.org/DIST/
> directory and parse the filenames.  Is the real answer you (Brad) kept
> it up to date?
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/biopython/

I saw that some packages, when installed with easy_install, are downloaded
from their own project home pages.
For example, when you do easy_install numpy, it downloads the egg code from
sourceforge.
So maybe there is a way to automatically update packages to pypi, but I
don't know it..

> > Peter, if you have an account on pypi, let me know your login and I
> > can add you as an owner for Biopython.
>
> I don't have an account on pypi.

Giovanni Dall'Olio, phd student
Department of Biologia Evolutiva at CEXS-UPF (Barcelona, Spain)

My blog on bioinformatics: http://bioinfoblog.it