[Biopython-dev] [Wg-phyloinformatics] GSoC Weekly Update 9: PhyloXML for Biopython

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Tue Jul 21 18:24:27 UTC 2009

On Jul 21, 2009, at 2:05 PM, Christian M Zmasek wrote:

> or are defined to only apply to the clade ("node" in this case) they
> are in, "branch_length" for example.

You do see how you are contradicting the previous definition here,
right? *All* nodes in a clade are in that clade, and *all* branches.

My recommendation is to fix this in the phyloXML spec - there is a
whole field of cladistics and I don't think it's a wise idea to re-
apply their terminology in ways that are in contradiction.

	-hilmar