[Biopython-dev] [Wg-phyloinformatics] BioGeography update

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Wed Jul 8 08:36:00 EDT 2009

Hi Nick;

> I am just now back in town and would love to co-coordinate on this.  I
> agree having multiple newick parsers etc. is undesirable, I just found I
> was forced to that this spring when BioPython didn't have what I need
> even for pretty standard Newick files.  I have also made use of
> Mailund's newick parser in the past.

That sounds great. Eric is also on board from the PhyloXML side.
For the parser, the right approach is to provide some example files that
Bio.Nexus does not handle correctly, and work on improvements to
that parser to bring it in line with what you need. Secondarily, we
should work on parsing into a general tree structure that supports
the questions you need to ask. This should allow us to avoid the
lagrange code duplication and also have a more robust Nexus parser
in Biopython.

Thanks,
Brad