[Biopython-dev] Developmental and experimental branches

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 17:49:43 UTC 2009

> just a note: since I was trying to simplify the concept, I said
> something which is not particularly correct.
> In git, you are not needed to have a central repository. Everyone has
> its personal branch and there is not such thing as an 'official
> branch', unless it is defined by convention.

If we did want to adopt a git style approach, I do think we need an
official branch which would be used for the releases and installers
hosted on biopython.org, and this branch would be managed in much the
same way as we do now with CVS/SVN.

I think this would be essential for avoiding confusion in the typical end user.