[Biopython-dev] Developmental and experimental branches

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 17:28:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio
<dalloliogm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> In a previous thread (and indicated in others) it was suggested that perhaps
>> Biopython needs some type of development  or experimental branch. So this
>> thread is orientated to provide some discussion on this and considers that
>> Biopython has moved to SVN.
>
> Maybe you can consider the approach at the basis of git, in which
> every developer works on its personal branch, and the owner of the
> 'official branch' can decide whether to accept the changes apported by
> the single branches or not.

In some ways this describes the current situation but without the
software: The CVS/SVN repository is the master official branch which
we (as a group) try and keep pretty stable.  When working on new
modules, individual developers or contributors have hacked away on
their own machines (perhaps using a local repository - I tended to
just save versioned snapshots of work in progress), and commit things
to the master once it was sufficiently stable to be approved.  For
self contained modules, this works OK - although using something like
git would be a bit more formalised and automated, and allow this kind
of "work in progress" to be done openly.