[Biopython-dev] biopython on github

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Feb 26 14:00:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Bartek Wilczynski
<bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org> wrote:
> You can see the branches here:
> http://github.com/barwil/biopython-test/tree/master
> https://code.launchpad.net/~bartek/biopython-test/trunk_updates

I would have just gone with the main Biopython "directory", ignoring
the old website etc.

> Using this kind of setup, we are allowing all interested to easily
> fork our current repo and then even merge their changes into the newer
> version of exported source. The only problem is, that as long as the
> CVS is the main repository, it might be difficult to commit these
> changes back to CVS. Does anyone have a clever idea for an easy
> procedure to commit things back to CVS? Because having a branch is not
> of much use if cannot easily accept contributions.

Can't you produce a diff between the git mirror of CVS, and your
modified branch - and then we can deal with the patch as usual via
CVS?

Another option to consider would be to switch to running git on
biopython.org, but use the git-cvsserver tool to provide an emulated
CVS server on top of the git repository.  This sounds possible in
theory, and would be nice for any "old fashioned" biopython developers
because is should be fairly transparent - they can continue to treat
it as CVS and just work on the main trunk.  This would require someone
competent to do the conversion and alter the server setup - we'd have
to talk to the OBF team about this.  However, if anyone has first hand
experience on git-cvsserver perhaps they could comment on weather this
sounds like a good plan or not.