[Biopython-dev] biopython on github

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 24 12:59:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio
<dalloliogm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think it is very misleading that you have created a git user called
>> "biopython" and a branch called "biopython" with a description of
>> "official biopython migration from cvs".  I can see the value of
>> having the official CVS server mirrored on github, but the way you
>> have done this suggests this is an official project approved of by the
>> biopython.org developers.
>
> Do not worry too much about that.. I also hadn't had too much time to
> refine it.  I was going to send you the credentials of the biopython user,
> or to anyone wishing to have them, but I wanted to test the cvs update
> first.
> In any case, the term 'official' was just meant to indicate that all
> the other branches should be derived from that, as there are other
> biopython derivates on github already.

The new description of "mirror of official biopython cvs on github" is
much better - thanks.  I would go further and call it "Unofficial test
github mirror of Biopython CVS".

If we do decide to use github (even just as a mirror to our own hosted
repository), then yes giving the current Biopython admins control of
the github "biopython" user would be a good idea.

>> What's more, if you get bored, I presume
>> this branch on git hub won't get updated anymore and will just sit
>> there - orphaned and out of date!
>
> That is a matter of setting a cron job somewhere to automatically
> update the branch.

In the short term (as this is just an experiment for now), testing a
daily cron job on your machine would be a good idea.

In the long term (assuming we want an "official" github mirror), then
doing it from the biopython.org repository server would be better.  In
theory this could be hooked into our main repository to push any trunk
branch commits to github immediately.

It would be much nicer if github could track an external repository on
its own (like Bartek is hoping to get setup with Launchpad).