[Biopython-dev] biopython on github

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 23 15:31:35 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio
<dalloliogm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio
> <dalloliogm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have uploaded a git-converted branch of biopython on github, in case
>> you want to try it and see how it works.
>>
>> You can find it here:
>> - http://github.com/biopython/biopython/
>
> Hi people,
> so, I am still testing biopython on git.

I should have said something two weeks ago, but I didn't actually
realize you weren't just doing this with a branch under your own name.

I think it is very misleading that you have created a git user called
"biopython" and a branch called "biopython" with a description of
"official biopython migration from cvs".  I can see the value of
having the official CVS server mirrored on github, but the way you
have done this suggests this is an official project approved of by the
biopython.org developers.  What's more, if you get bored, I presume
this branch on git hub won't get updated anymore and will just sit
there - orphaned and out of date!

> The function to convert a cvs repository to git works well: I have
> just updated the branch on github to the latest cvs commit in
> open-bio, and it has correctly imported all the new commits without
> mixing them with the old ones.

That sounds nice.

> Now, if you look at http://github.com/biopython/biopython/network ,
> you can see the results from all these experiments: the black line
> represent the code imported from cvs, and the other ones are
> experiments (well, don't care about the red one).

Does this work without Adobe flash?  I don't have this on my Linux
machine at home, and while I do have gnash it doesn't work on that
many sites.