[Biopython-dev] determining the version

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Feb 19 10:25:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>> From a quick look at approach taken in the matplotlib
>> code, we could add something like this to setup.py
>>
>> __version__ = "Undefined"
>> for line in open('Bio/__init__.py'):
>>     if (line.startswith('__version__')):
>>         exec(line.strip())
>>
>> setup(
>>    name='biopython',
>>    version=__version__,
>>    author='The Biopython Consortium',
>>
>> I'm happy to deal with this if we are agreed that we
>> should add a __version__ to Bio/__init__.py
>> (variations on the naming are possible, but this seems
>> to be a de-facto standard in python libraries).
>
> Any objections to making this change now?
>
> Peter

Since this thread last year, there have been no objections.  Following
a recent question on the main mailing list about how to determine the
version of Biopython this seems worth doing before the next release.
Again, an objections or comments on the implementation details?
Otherwise I'll make this change shortly.