[Biopython-dev] SVN migration and Launchpad mirroring

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio dalloliogm at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 16:27:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Bartek Wilczynski
<bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Once I had that, I could publish my private branch of biopython to
> launchpad (it took about 10s).
> Now, if anyone is interested in test-driving bazaar+launchpad with
> biopython, he/she can just
> branch it to your own computer (you don't need any account for that,
> just bzr installed):
> bzr branch lp:~bartek/junk/biopython
>
> I did that (branch) on a different computert (~2min). Now one can
> start modifying code.
> I've done some  changes to the Bio.Motif code (add a method, commit
> locally, fix a small bug in it,
> commit again, test) and pushed the changes to the branch on launchpad.
> Commits are quick (~3s),
> push takes about a minute, but this is including a scan of the whole
> tree, so it should not
> take much longer than this for bigger changes.
>
> Note:This is my own branch, so I can commit to it, but if I was not
> the owner (or maintainer) of the
> branch, I would have to either send my changes to the maintainer or
> publish my branch and let him
> "pull" from it.
>
> I realised later that I've accidentaly  added a large directory during
> tailor conversion, so I removed it in
> the original bzr branch (as made by tailor) merged it with the changes
> pushed already to launchpad
> from somewhere else (Motif) and pushed the resulting tree back to
> launchpad.The removal was very fast
> (~5s) and the push took about the same time as with the small
> change.The good thing is that the history
> of all changes is retained.
>
> If anyone wants to give it a try, just install bzr and you can easily
> branch from me using:
> bzr branch lp:~bartek/junk/biopython

Hi,
I was trying bazaar.

These are the steps I did, can you check if I did everything correctly?

- I have created an account on launchpad and uploaded an ssh key (on
my home page, -> click on 'Profile', then 'Edit details', and then
'Ssh keys' - it costed me a bit to find it at first :) ).

- On my computer, from a terminal, I have executed
"bzr-launchpad-login <my username>" to login to launchpad.

- I ran "bzr branch lp:~bartek/junk/biopython", to create a branch of
your repository in my computer.

- I did some stupid changes (I must have messed a bit with creating
branches), and then committed them.

So now, if I want to inform you of the changes I have made, how does
it work? Which is the correct bazaar command to pull a merge request?

- In the meantime, I have created an entry for my branch on launchpad.
I went to my home page, clicked on 'Code', and then 'Register a new branch'.
On the 'Reference Project' field, I couldn't find your project, only
the biopython created a few years ago of which you were asking
earlier.

This is my branch:
- https://code.launchpad.net/~dalloliogm-gmail/+junk/biopython-gio

How do I link it to your repo, now?