[Biopython-dev] docstring tests

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Feb 14 14:37:16 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 2:12 AM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I wasn't planning to, since "python setup.py test" currently does not
> allow selecting for any of the test scripts either; it just runs all of them.
> But I won't object if somebody else (wink, wink) adds this capability
> to "python setup.py test". On the other hand, you may think of
> "python setup.py test" as the quick-and-comprehensive way to
> run the tests, and run_tests.py as a more specialized tool that
> gives you more control.

I think this is fine as it is, and would not be keen on adding any
redundant code to the setup.py file (there is a small risk of causing
problems for third party integrators, py2exe etc).

The "python setup.py test" is really there as part of the installation
procedure, where you would just want all the tests run.  The only
reason I'd want to run some of the tests is if debugging something -
and this is where you would use run_tests.py directly.