[Biopython-dev] SVN migration and Launchpad mirroring

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio dalloliogm at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 16:47:48 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 7:20 AM, Eric Talevich <eric.talevich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 7:55 AM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk>wrote:
>

>> In terms of other tools, several people here are interested in git,
>> and git and SVN can be made to work together.  Hopefully getting
>> Biopython from CVS to SVN will make things easier for them.
>>

> Good to know. I can get behind git, too -- I see BioRuby is already on
> GitHub, and so are a couple of (partial/modified) branches of Biopython

I like github and I think its web interface is one of the best to work
with git: it has some tools that I didn't see in the other hosting
services supporting git (trac, gitorious), especially those for
creating forks.

The problem is that the basic account on github is limited to 100 MB,
and with the peculiar approach adopted by git (distributed source
control) anyone wishing to participate code to biopython should have
to create an account on github and in theory create a copy of the
repository in his space.

Moreover, I think it would be more difficult to use git without the
tools offered by github, even if we configure a git repository with
trac or similar on the openbio's servers. I don't know if the git-trac
plugins has a feature to show all the forks like the one in github.
Maybe I am just wrong.. but you should ask to the bioruby people how
they are comfortable with these issues, since they are more expert.

My blog on bioinformatics (now in English): http://bioinfoblog.it