[Biopython-dev] run_tests.py rewrite

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Feb 3 11:55:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio
<dalloliogm at gmail.com> wrote:

> ufff I am sorry but the more I think about it, the more it seems a
> nonsense to me..
> Why are you writing a new test-discovery framework for biopython, when
> there are many already available that work fine and better?
> Isn't it a waste of time, really? I am not criticizing you - but
> speaking from a purely technical point of view, I really don't
> understand.

We're NOT writing a new test-discovery framework - in this recent
change we're reusing part of the existing unittest framework included
with python.

> If you are worried that using nose will add a new prerequisite to
> biopython (which is not true, by the way), you can easily include the
> nose executable within the test dir, as I think many other projects
> already do;

Using nose would be another prerequisite for anyone running the tests
(although as you point out, it may be possible to include it with
Biopython).

> Honestly, I have the feeling that you didn't even had a look at all
> the links I posted in the old discussion on nose, neither you have
> tried it, and that's so bad. You didn't discuss about the pros or cons
> of nose, you just kept saying 'it would add a prerequisite to
> biopython' (which is not true, again), and started writing your own
> new test discovery framework.

We didn't just start writing our own framework (which I agree would be
a waste of time).  We already had a simple framework, and with
Michiel's recent changes it make more use of the python unittest
infrastructure.