[Biopython-dev] code credits

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Dec 21 14:34:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Brad Chapman <chapmanb at 50mail.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter;
> Awesome. Nice to see all the new and familiar names from this latest
> release.
>
>> (1) Include this in the NEWS file for each release, and continue adding
>> names to the single alphabetical list in the CONTRIBUTORS file.
>
> I'd rather see it this way, which is a bit more informal and in
> context. Something along the lines of:
>
> Bob Jones added the FooBar module for parsing the latest NCBI
> file format.
>
> or:
>
> Several bug fixes were committed to the PDB module. Thanks to Joe
> Smith, Steve P and Jorge Garcia for their patches.
>
> If people contributed to something that didn't make the new cut, then we
> could just list additional contributors near the end. The goal should
> be to recognize people if they contributed to a release by having
> their name somewhere in the release notes. For core contributors like
> yourself, you probably don't want your name next to everything so pick a
> couple of your favorites for attribution.

OK - some under your option (3?), the CONTRIBOTORS file is kept
in the existing style, and the NEWS file also continues in a similar
*style* to before, but making a more concious effort to include names
next to noteworthy features, and ensure any other contributors get
included at the end (e.g. "Plus miscelaneous bug fixes from X, Y
and Z").

That seems fine.