[Biopython-dev] Moving from CVS to git

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Aug 25 12:13:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Bartek
Wilczynski<bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Time for an update on how things are with git and biopython.
>
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Bartek
> Wilczynski<bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org> wrote:
>> I've only quickly tested git, and I was able to pull from github with
>> no problems. I will try porting thew scripts from my machine to
>> dev.open-bio tomorrow.
>
> That works fine. I've set up a crontab script
> (/home/bartek/github_backup.sh) on dev.open-bio machine which fetches
> the current github branch and saves it to
> /home/bartek/biopython_from_github. Then it creates a "bare
> repository" (/home/bartek/biopython.git) which can be then used by
> others. If you have an shell account on the dev machine, you should be
> able to clone it over ssh with the following command:
> git clone ssh://_YOUR_USERNAME_@dev.open-bio.org/~bartek/biopython.git

Yes, that works for me (and thus in theory anyone with a dev
account).

> if this is put into a directory accesible via http, one can also clone
> (anonymously) over http. I don't have an account on biopython www
> server, but I was able to put it on my server (just to check if it
> works). You can fetch it like this:
> git clone http://bartek.rezolwenta.eu.org/biopython.git

Excellent. We can ask the OBF to give you access to biopython.org
(and Brad too since it would have helped when he did the recent
release) which would help setting this stuff up [and see below]

> In conclusion: it works. I would say, that the next important step is
> to decide when to stop commiting to CVS... I'm just waiting for a
> signal to terminate the updates from CVS to github and we are done.

OK - so the basics are ready (backing up from github to an OBF
machine). Good job.

> In the meantime, it would make sense to make it more stable which
> involves some technical details (mostly related to user accounts)
> Namely, we need to
> - set up these scripts on biopython account instead of my own (see below)
> - decide whether we want other things to be done by these scripts
> (generating src tarballs, etc)
>
>> In the meantime, I've checked that biopython account on dev.open-bio
>> machine is assigned to Brad Marshall. I haven't seen him posting to
>> the list lately. Does anyone have the access to this account?
>
> This would come in handy now. Anybody knows how to access this account?

I have no idea who Brad Marshall is. We'll have to take this up with
the OBF. I'll email you off list...