[Biopython-dev] how to determine BioPython version number

Mike Williams dmikewilliams at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 17:47:53 UTC 2009

Hi there.  About a year ago a message was posted that suggested using
Martel.__version__ to determine that BioPython versio number.  A
couple weeks ago the draft announcment for BioPython 1.51 said that
Martel is no longer included.

If Martel is no longer included, is there some other way for a program
to determine the version number of BioPython that is installed?

Tried searching for this, but found nothing relevant.

Mike

Below are snippets from the two messages referred to above:

<snip>
subject: [Biopython-dev] determining the version
Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Sep 24 17:12:24 EDT 2008

> Somewhat related to this, what is the appropriate way to find the version of
> BioPython installed within Python?

So I'm not the only person to have wondered about this.  For now, I
can only suggest an ugly workarround:

import Martel
print Martel.__version__

Since Biopython 1.45, by convention the Martel version has been
incremented to match that of Biopython.  Of course, in a few releases
time we probably won't be including Martel any more.
</snip>